Here are the details for next Saturdays interclub relays at Delamere Forest – The Delamere Interclub Relay Teams (DIRT). The event will take place on Saturday 22nd September 4pm start.
• Teams of 6 (although runners can do more than one leg)
• 4 legs
• Enter on the day (but let us know in advance)
• £2.50 per person
• At Delamere Visitors Centre CW8 2JD
• Teams can be: male, mixed, female or male or female vets.
Leg 1: Railway Slalom 5k 1 team member
Leg 2: Ace of Spodes 8k 2 team members
Leg 3: Lotto 6kish 2 team members
(might be useful to be able to read a map for this one (simple though)
Leg 4: Park Run 5k 1 team member
(This is the usual Delamere park run course)
Marshalls also very welcome.
So start organising yourselves into teams of six.
A reminder (and information for newer members) that in September there is the Multi Terrain series every Tuesday night. There is unlikely to be anybody at the club on Tuesdays in September. The races are:
Tues 4th Sept Royden Park 7pm
Tues 11th Sept Harrison Drive 7pm
Tues 18th Sept Thurstaston 6.30pm
Tues 25th Sept Arrowe Park 6.30pm
£1 to enter, Club vests MUST be worn. You are earning points for your club and we’d like to see as many members taking part as possible. Hopefully, see you there.
September sees the return of the annual multi-terrain series each Tuesday at Royden Park, Thurstaston, Harrison Drive and Arrowe Park. Pensby Runners host the first one at Royden Park on Tuesday 5th September. Naturally, we want as many of you to run as possible and usually nobody is at the club on Tuesdays in September but if anybody is unable to run we also need volunteers for this first one both to marshall and to help with the car parking. For now, if people could just indicate on this post whether they are able to help or tell John Keyworth via Lesley Keyworth or firstname.lastname@example.org
This Saturday 25th March is the final race in the Pensby Winter Fell League and the second race in the Supercup series at Llantysilio Fell Race, 6.2 miles long and 2,100 ft. We will be leaving the club at 9am for an 11am start. Ideal for beginners to fell races. Make sure you carry full kit and if you’re not sure then ask Nigel Crompton or David Green.
Important ! Rule 209 – Please read
The committee wish to bring to the attention of the club UKA rule 209 and the clubs position in respect of rule 209. It is not permitted to take part in a race with another runner’s bib number. Rule 209 states “Athletes who receive transferred numbers without permission (from the race organiser i.e. a formal transfer) will be disqualified from the race. Both runners will be subject to disciplinary action by the appropriate National Association”. In our case the national organisation is England Athletics. The sanctions imposed are usually a 12 month ban from all UKA races not only for the person running but also for the person who gave them their number if they were aware.
This is a serious rule and as a UKA registered club we are obliged to support and reinforce their rules. The reasons for the rule are:
- If a medical emergency occurred, there could be potential mix-ups. The organisers may get in touch with your emergency contact, leading to panic and/or confusion. They may use your medical notes entered at the time of entry, which could have disastrous consequences.
- Any race insurance will be void.
- God forbid the impact in the event of the tragedy at Boston marathon a few years ago.
- It impacts on results not only for the race itself but for Run Britain / Power of Ten rankings / results and this is especially so where the other runner is a different category, gender or capability.
- There have been a number of incidents where ladies have been deprived of a first place because they were beaten by young men with women’s numbers.
UKA registered running and athletics clubs are obliged to report these incidences to England Athletics (in our case) as are race organisers. Should we neglect this we as a club could face sanctions. As far as we are aware this has not been tested yet although a number of individual athletes have been banned. This is the action we will have to take going forward.
EA are compiling a ‘blacklist’ of runners who have been reported for number-swapping, referenced to the runner’s EA registration number. A number of race organisers are now starting to check EA registrations including big races close to us.
The official club policy is for runners to adhere to the rules. If not, we will, from this date, report cases that we are aware of. If a race organiser says you can’t give your number to someone else, then don’t. If you don’t like the rule, then by all means, contact the organisers and let them know your frustrations. If enough people complained, then maybe more organisers might look at their policies on swapping numbers in the future. Perhaps only enter races that do allow this flexibility.
January 19th 2017
Due to the numbers polled who have said they want this postponed the CC will not run tonight. Likely replacement date is next Friday 3rd June but I will confirm.
The Summer Fell League kicks off on the 8th June with Up the Beast. There are 10 races in the summer league from the introductory short races around the Clwydian Range to the daunting Sedburgh hills. We’re hoping to see some new members out on the hills this year. Details can be found here … http://www.pensbyrunners.co.uk/races-leagues/fell-running/ Pensby Summer Fell League 2016
Track sessions at Bebington Oval will be commencing on Tuesday 31st May as a trial for the Summer. The club will be covering the cost of these sessions for a 6 month trial period while we see how popular they are. We will try to cater for all levels and myself as Coach and the Run Leaders who normally take Tuesday night sessions will all be going to each of the track sessions. It might be helpful, certainly at first, if we knew who was going beforehand in order to plan. I’ll figure out a way of you notifying us. We have got the track booked from 7pm until 8pm so you are advised to arrive at the Oval in good time so that we do not delay getting started. If you have track spikes that is fine (no greater than 5mm please) but ordinary road shoes will suffice.
Sessions booked are:
Tuesday 31st May 7pm
Tuesday 21st May 7pm
Tuesday 26th July 7pm
Tuesday 30th Aug 7pm
Tuesday night is the multi terrain race at Thurstaston Visitors centre. There are unlikely to be anybody at the club. Details can be found here … http://www.pensbyrunners.co.uk/events/event/thurstaston-multi-terrain-race/
Nigel Crompton and Rob Beech have been appointed by England Athletics
to be part of their Mental Health Ambassador programme. Ambassadors will :
- Proactively support the mental wellbeing of club/group members. Provide information about local services that can offer support to participants with needs not related to sport.
- Make links between Pensby Runners and local mental health groups and organisations and encourage their members to start running.
- Tweet and share with their twitter follower’s England Athletics’ information about #runandtalk and other related campaigns.
- Share England Athletics Facebook posts about #runandtalk and other related content.
- Start conversations about mental health with other Pensby Runners.
- Share guidance and information provided by England Athletics with the committee about mental health issues related to running and ..
- Get involved and actively participate in volunteer opportunities to support people experiencing mental health problems to start running.